Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shaking out of a funk

It has been so long since I've done this. I fear I might be rusty. I just thought I would come back and reread some of my old blogs. I was writing about the economic crisis in March and the housing crisis last December. Well, here I am a year later, and a year wiser. My writing style might have changed, I've been reading a lot of William Shakespeare lately, so don't be surprised if that shows up. I am coming out of a bit of a funk and I think writing may help pass the time and help revive my passion. It's funny but my therapy was listening to Shakespeare. I was able to put certain scenes of his plays on my Ipod. So I've taken to listening to pieces of his plays and watching them on the weekends. I have burned through so much in a relatively small amount of time.

I have seen or read in the past four months:
-Hamlet
-Henry V
-Othello
-Macbeth
-Richard III
-Julius Caesar
-Midsummer Night's Dream
-King Lear
-Romeo and Juliet
-Much Ado about nothing


I currently have in my Netflix Queue:
-Twelfth Night
-The Tempest
-The Girl Next Door (wrong queue)

Other than my more lascivious taste in Art (Girl Next Door Rocked!), I have really digested a lot of one artist. I don't even think I like this many of Mozart's pieces. Shakespeare is a genius with language and just sublime to listen to. I've even taking to memorizing verses of Shakespeare so I can recite it to myself. The characters are so relatable. Especially being depressed, I understood Hamlet better than I ever hoped to. His soliloquy on his own existence cuts to the core of every man who's ever been sad. My depression had a voice with Hamlet, my rage had a voice with Marc Antony, and my fantasy had a voice with Henry V's stirring speech at Agincourt. It really has been therapeutic...more than I could ever express if I had a thousand more words than the Bard himself. I hope to discuss a bit on each of the plays I've either read or seen. I absorbed a lot of Shakespeare so this might take awhile...

No comments: